Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Trafficking

It.
Happens.
In.
The.
Bible Belt.

Still.. nice to see functioning law enforcement and judicial systems (although.. only 13 years?). Here officials own brothels. I'm trying to figure out how to measure what faith/distrust in the system does for societies.

4 comments:

arbuckle said...

Yeah, encouraging that systems are in place that at least kinda work . . .

What do you mean with your last sentence?

I hadn't seen the slavery map before--thanks for including it.

phillip said...

it was a bad sentence.

what i meant was, i guess, im just trying to figure out what matters in the development of all societies, plus what's unique to a place like thailand.

Scott said...

I had always heard that Houston was a hot spot for trafficking in the US. I know there are several organizations in town that deal with it. The article in the Chronicle that you linked was talking about hispanics, but I have actually heard of quite a few asian women being trafficked through Houston as well...

phillip said...

yeah.. houston and san diego/LA are the only two areas in the country that have both ports and nearby borders with mexico.. so both are ripe.

you hear about it a lot with hispanics, whose families are afraid to report abductions lest they all be deported. and my sister said she met an oakland pastor who could point out from which malls kids would get taken and from which bus stops they'd be sold.

the media goes crazy when a blonde kid gets abducted, so it's usually minorities.