Thursday, April 30, 2009

Obama. Complexity. Doing. Etc.


Following this post the other day about my own muddle-headedness, I re-stumbled across this old David Brooks column about Obama when his candidacy was just getting going.

There are a thousand things to potentially disagree with this administration about. But Obama's ability to "get" or just better express that he "gets" that the U.S. can be both humble and bold about our place in the world—and that the world is complicated and ridiculous and not always a matter of good v. evil—is welcome relief (even if obvious), and why he gets people to listen (especially the enormous audiences abroad—he speaks to them as if they were adults). Brooks, a conservative-ish, certainly gives him the same respect:

Yesterday evening I was interviewing Barack Obama and we were talking about effective foreign aid programs in Africa. His voice was measured and fatigued, and he was taking those little pauses candidates take when they’re afraid of saying something that might hurt them later on.

Out of the blue I asked, “Have you ever read Reinhold Niebuhr?”

Obama’s tone changed. “I love him. He’s one of my favorite philosophers.”

So I asked, What do you take away from him?

“I take away,” Obama answered in a rush of words, “the compelling idea that there’s serious evil in the world, and hardship and pain. And we should be humble and modest in our belief we can eliminate those things. But we shouldn’t use that as an excuse for cynicism and inaction. I take away ... the sense we have to make these efforts knowing they are hard, and not swinging from naïve idealism to bitter realism.”

My first impression was that for a guy who’s spent the last few months fund-raising, and who was walking off the Senate floor as he spoke, that’s a pretty good off-the-cuff summary of Niebuhr’s “The Irony of American History.” My second impression is that his campaign is an attempt to thread the Niebuhrian needle, and it’s really interesting to watch.

On the one hand, Obama hates, as Niebuhr certainly would have, the grand Bushian rhetoric about ridding the world of evil and tyranny and transforming the Middle East. But he also dislikes liberal muddle-headedness on power politics. In “The Audacity of Hope,” he says liberal objectives like withdrawing from Iraq, stopping AIDS and working more closely with our allies may be laudable, “but they hardly constitute a coherent national security policy.”

At the time, in a failed experiment with my own human nature, I had decided to see if I could truly stay mentally uncommitted to a candidate until the last week of the election. But it was stuff like this that made Obama wildly compelling—and to me made his unconventional youth in places like Indonesia and Pakistan an enormous asset.

Thoughts?

4 comments:

arbuckle said...

I think that I get to one-up you here, and feel compelled to as I don't have access to post-narcotic selling coffee growers.

I actually was able to stay uncommitted until the weekend before voting when I finally decided to vote for McCain. This was after spending a couple of months trying to counter the shallow and stupid views many had of Obama here in BCS and actually desiring to vote for him myself.

Of course, to borrow from Brooks, "That’s either profound or vacuous, depending on your point of view."

But that interview with Brooks is an example of why I was attracted to him initially and still like him now, while disagreeing with him on some points.

phillip said...

yeah well.. i decided in the voting booth to cast one for alan keyes.

up that.

actually i voted from a hospital room in bangkok after my wife got hit by a bomb. we handed our ballots to a state dept employee, and didn't even have to pay for postage.

phillip said...

but yeah.. i think it's that "first class intellect, first class temperament" description that led a lot of conservatives to semi- or fully endorse him, despite severe policy differences. i also think now that the price tag is on those policy differences, a lot of those same conservatives are rethinking it.

still.. i think a mccain presidency would like substantially very similar to the current administration up to this point, without a lot of the global goodwill gained by obama.

arbuckle said...

AK--nice, ha.

On Obama, exactly right. I'm also one of those conservatives who voted for McCain without expecting him to win or even strongly desiring him to win. I have no idea what his presidency would have looked like, and will just hope and pray for President Obama to lead well.