ny times: people fight back (click for slideshow).
(update: This blog, which I like, says pretty much the same thing, except with a twist — "But, as Abhisit knows better than anyone else, the royal yellow lesson from 2008 is that thuggery, violence and provocation can reap rich political rewards." — and has a bunch of thoughtful comments that disagree.)
I wonder about how much hearts and minds matter here.
Back in October, during the PAD protests, I was skeptical of what the yellow shirts were demanding, but supported their right to protest. Then they became increasingly radicalized, culminating in the airport sieges that crippled the Thai economy, shutting down the tourism industry during the high season and hurting regular people. I heard from several people who quit supporting the PAD (although I don't really know — they could still be wildly popular).
This seemed to put the red shirts in position to take the high road, and — except for a couple minor instances — they did, putting on massive, peaceful protests and then going home after a day or three. Massive changes are coming in Thailand, and eventually there will be elections again, and the red shirts seemed primed to benefit. I think most democracy-minded Americans would at least tepidly agree with the reds' demands.
But then they started crippling Bangkok by abandoning their taxis at traffic choke points, attacking politicians, (literally) crashing the ASEAN summit, hijacking and threatening to blow up gas trucks in residential areas, and then — last night — allegedly attacking a mosque and opening fire on a group of angry citizens at a market, killing two.
So today the headlines have switched from stuff like "Government fires on protesters" to things like "U.S. condemns red shirt mob violence." A shift in popular opinion? A couple of red shirt leaders turned themselves in this morning, after encouraging protesters to disperse. Prime Minister Abhisit seems to be staging a remarkable (didn't think he'd last until the end of the month two days ago) comeback, and the government might just emerge from all this in tact.
The red shirts don't have the backing of the military and other elite, entrenched power centers like the yellows. So it seems like the only way they'll ever regain power is through popular support — and, as such, should be doing everything they can to hold on to it. It's unfair (and the source of their anger/frustration), but reality. Ghandi and MLK knew what they were doing.
Anyway.. I ask the question because I'm very much on the outside of all this, and am curious how this kind of thing looks for regular, unaffiliated Thais. (I'm not Thai and I'll prolly be gone in two years, but—on some level—someone unaffiliated and limited in understanding, albeit curious like me can bea decent gauge for how well a group's PR efforts are working).
Regardless, it's clear that violence breeds violence, and absolutist mob behavior (whether red, yellow or American partisan) is simply a part of human nature.
Thoughts?
--------------
Here are videos from yesterday. Watch the molotov cocktails, and then the taxi crash through the army line in this one:
And two from Al Jazeera — my new favorite news station:
I understand even less than you do Phil (clearly)...it seems to me that both sides are right. When a country has so much corruption (according to Con's list more than India which really surprised me) there is no such thing as one side being absolutely right and another being absolutely wrong (USA has less corruption but this still rings true here too...we need to stop dealing in political absolutes). The fact that neither side is in the 100% wrong, then there cant be all this back and forth BS. Fair and honest (which might be tough i guess) elections need to be held for this to be sorted...that is the only answer for a democratic nation.
Also, I am totally for both sides right to protest, and am a happy that they have that right politically, but as soon as you use violence you lose my support. Like you said, violence breeds nothing but violence. No lasting change will come from these protests because the violence that is committed in the name of their "cause" nullifies the any truth that may be behind the "cause" to begin with.
1 comment:
I understand even less than you do Phil (clearly)...it seems to me that both sides are right. When a country has so much corruption (according to Con's list more than India which really surprised me) there is no such thing as one side being absolutely right and another being absolutely wrong (USA has less corruption but this still rings true here too...we need to stop dealing in political absolutes). The fact that neither side is in the 100% wrong, then there cant be all this back and forth BS. Fair and honest (which might be tough i guess) elections need to be held for this to be sorted...that is the only answer for a democratic nation.
Also, I am totally for both sides right to protest, and am a happy that they have that right politically, but as soon as you use violence you lose my support. Like you said, violence breeds nothing but violence. No lasting change will come from these protests because the violence that is committed in the name of their "cause" nullifies the any truth that may be behind the "cause" to begin with.
Peace,
Scott
Post a Comment