Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Super Cooks


I had an idea for a website. It was going to be huge.

Our western (farang food) options are limited in Phayao, but I'm usually happy with some sort of peanut butter, lychee wine, chocolate chip and coffee power shake. Constance disagrees that this either "resourceful" or "tasty," and as such moans a lot about food.

So I was staring at our kitchen, wondering if there was something creative or interesting I could cook for my wife using the limited ingredients we had (plus the 15 or so things I knew we could get at Tesco). Lightbulb! Carl Jung! Recipes for foodies who love cooking but who don't want to go to Whole Foods before dinner, or who can't because they live in a tiny cheese-allergic village in Northern Thailand!

Enter the ingredents you have. Website tells you what you can make.

I'd use it—even if only for idle time wasting and searching for the world's most ridiculous recipes (what could I make with singha beer, ham, deep fried crickets, olive oil and green curry paste?). We'd just need to build a base of content, design and market it well, and eventually thrive off user-generated recipes.

Meet supercook.com. Bastards.

My google-averse father has a long and distinguished history of inventing things that have already been invented. He once received a patent rejection after he couldn't get the 40-45th candles lit on my mother's birthday cake without getting burned, and came up with self-lighting candles with wicks tied together by dental floss. Last year he started laying the groundwork for a global tree-planting initiative that already existed... under the same name.

So I inherited that gene, but at least we try.

But now I don't get the website, and I've lost my excuse for serving my wife mustard fish ball sandwiches.

3 comments:

arbuckle said...

That's great . . . in a not so great kinda way.

Kurt Dykhuizen said...

you can always do things someone else has done ... but better!

phillip said...

true. that site sucks. WHO'S WITH ME?