Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Liberia Day (updated)

Jon Stewart had Liberian president Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf on yesterday. I wish Stewart had let her talk more, but she's a remarkable woman doing an impossible job as Liberia rebuilds after decades of war, and worth listening to (as I got to do each morning on UN radio during my short trip there last year).

She's the first female president in Africa. More and more and more I'm seeing that it's women who are best equipped to lead desperate communities/countries to better futures.

The Daily Show With Jon StewartM - Th 11p / 10c
Ellen Johnson Sirleaf
thedailyshow.com
Daily Show
Full Episodes
Economic CrisisPolitical Humor


Here's The Economist on the book she just wrote (plus an update on her performance so far).

Also—looks like a story I wrote about that Liberia trip got picked up by a literary journal. Neat huh? Details soon..

Update: Ha. Also... Former Thai PM/polarizer/"Great Satan" Thaksin Shinawatra is apparently exploring investment opportunities in Liberia this week.

2 comments:

arbuckle said...

Fascinating. I had read about Liberia under Charles Taylor, but didn't know about what had happened since him.

How about the details on that Liberia article you wrote?

eorchard said...

She was in Berkeley a couple of weeks ago and I had no idea! Apparently, she was amazing.