Monday, September 22, 2008

palin tuesdays..

.. since the parents and not-so-anonymous comment-leavers keep clamoring for more.

just kidding. sorta. there's really nothing from her this week considering, at last count, while joe biden's given 84 interviews since tabbed as VP, palin's given exactly two.

two.

or as summed up in the wapost:
“Mr. McCain is entitled to choose the person he thinks would be best for the job. He is not entitled to keep the public from being able to make an informed assessment of that judgment. Ms. Palin’s speech-making skills are impressive, but the more she repeats the same stump speech lines, the queasier we get. Nor have her answers to the gentle questioning she has encountered provided any confidence that Ms. Palin has a grasp of the issues.”
as a semi-journalist who believes in the valuable role of an independent and thinking press, and as someone who thinks the continuing "blame the media" strategy (the latest development of which is covered exhaustively on both sides here by a fantastic, non-partisan, truth-seeking blog) is distracting and maddening, the blackout seems a little appalling. straight talk mccain himself hasn't given a press conference in more than 40 days.

even if my wife and i are hollywood elitist liberals.

anyway.. here's what i'm reading to best understand the wall st. meltdown:
also.. first heard from kevin phillips on this fantastic show a while back. he's predicted all this pretty accurately. listen if curious.

update: finally found someone outside the bush admin who is (partially) defending the paulson plan

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The choice of Palin as a running mate scares me. I was already against McCain as he seems like a major warhawk in my best estimation (I cite the time he sang "Bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb Iran" to the tune of Barbara Ann). This choice shows his apparent hastiness in making very important decisions. If he is willing to make the decision of his running mate so hastily then there is no telling what the warhawk in him will do in a hasty fashion...I strongly believe that we will be in Iran within 4 years if McCain is elected, I hope I am wrong, but I dont think I am.

On an economic note: The current bail out policy may very well be "needed" however the situation reminds me of the political atmosphere around putting troops into Iraq. People are moving very quickly, trying to make economic decisions that will affect the next 2 to 3 decades of this country (if not longer) in a week. Also the bail out stinks of hypocrisy. Washington (i.e. Bush) is willing to spend 700B dollars to bail out wall street (which has made poor decisions and let their greed run rampant) yet he is unwilling to bail out the public school system or even lower income families. Seems to me that 700B is more than enough to get our schools back on track, probably could do it for 1/1000th of that, but no Republican would ever vote for that. You cant vote for government spending only when it serves you, unless your principles and morals are derelict.

I have said my peace..haha

phillip said...

i have a picture of the two of us holding a "bomb saddam" sign somewhere, scott.

Anonymous said...

I selectively have forgotten that political/moral phase of my life...ha