here it's similarly difficult/interesting/maddening/enlivening.
so.. when someone from this site (which i wish i had created) approached me the other day (you can read my interview here), i started reading from some of the other thai expats. gladly, there's a ton of telling and resonant stuff which we feel like we're experiencing here.
for example.. according to nicolas from mauritius:
The first 2 years, all these customs looks sweet, very respectful to everybody, but I came to realize that it brings us and them to nowhere. So, now I tend to give my point of view and I try to speak with Thai people and force them to consider or see things they wouldn’t normally.
Every culture has good and bad things. We should strive to take the best of each and not just accept everything because we are in their country.
I’ve found out there’s a period of 3 years before expat people get into a crisis. At that point, they will get crazy over small things which they would usually tolerate then go back home or go through it and get a new philosophy on life. I’m right in the middle of this crisis.
....
I hate having Thais making enormous mistakes and try to hide it. Talking with the locals is pretty hard too because most of the time they will have no opinion. They will most likely answer what they think you want to hear. I have almost no Thai friends.
then there's vern from florida, who feels differently:
Overall, Thais are awesome! I don't have this generalized and jaded view of the Thais like most foreigners seem to have after a couple years. If you come to their country and try to live like it's your country - you'll not have a good time here. If you come to their country with the idea that you'll do what it takes to FIT IN, then you'll probably have a much better experience.finally, there's andrew from the uk, who understands this biggest problems:Thai people treat us extremely well considering foreigners USUALLY are not trying to fit into their culture and are seen as rude, ignorant, and impolite. Thai people seem to have an incredible tolerance for idiots in their country, which we in America don't have.
-What are the positive and negative aspects of living in Thailand?
Positive, the wonderful people. Negative, it's too hot and there's no cheese.
1 comment:
Is there enough of a need for cheese in Thailand that you could make a lot of money by learning how to make it and selling it?!
Post a Comment