Sunday, November 23, 2008

turmoil (updated. a lot. and again.)

RFK in Bangkok, from Life Magazine, 1962.

- Twice this week grenades were launched into Government House, where the PAD protesters are holed up, killing two.

- Big simultaneous protests today in different parts of town from pro and anti-current government groups escalate possibility of violence.

- The PAD is trying to take over Parliament, or something.

This is getting ridiculous. Pray for rain.

Update: The police and military have increased their numbers to 1,500 now to control things. The PAD is pushing back their Parliament party until Monday morning, and using apocalyptic language* like this:
"I would like to invite people to join the last battle. We know what we are doing and we believe that what we are doing and will do has same objective which are to protect the country, religion and monarchy," Sonthi told the cheering crowds.
* They say stuff like this often, ostensibly to rile up supporters and keep themselves in the news. Still.. I'm not looking forward to reading about what happened when I wake up tomorrow.

Update II: Here's how The Nation sums it up. I didn't realize PM Somchai is in Peru.

parliament, october 7

Update III: Protesters have besieged both Parliament and the Metropolitan Police Bureau — the place where Constance and I got caught in the tear gas attack. Apparently, the police aren't using tear gas.. which has allowed protesters to just push right in.. which makes it more understandable why they were using tear gas last time (just wish they would use the legal, non-explosive tear gas, and use it correctly — i.e. not fire it directly at people). This is the same as protesters storming Capitol Hill. It just wouldn't happen.

Update IV: The Parliamentary meeting which the PAD protesters were protesting was cancelled (the meeting, according to protest leaders, would've paved the way for the return of Takshin, the powerful and controversial PM who was ousted in the 2006 coup, and who the PAD blames for just about everything wrong with Thailand), so the Parliament siege dissipated. There are still other protests going on, but nothing like that one. Thankfully, no major violence from either side (there will still a few explosions near a TV station, but all and all not as violent as the pre-siege rhetoric indicated).

happy protester, october 7

Update VXIILP: Washington Post says there was PAD-induced violence (NYTimes front page now too). The PAD is trying to shut down the airport, or something. Yawn. I'm getting bored of this, and I'll shake my fist at them if I ever miss a flight. Life is normal in Bangkok as long as the protests are confined to one area of town. But messing with the airport, etc. can't be good for tourism and business.

I understand that this is real and about real problems in my new country, and I understand that both sides think they are right. People should protest, and most of the people I saw at the protest in October were normal, well-meaning people concerned about their country. But I also understand that rigid group think can be easily manipulated and the ignorant, excitable, us vs. them types who are running around armed, setting motos on fire and hijacking buses lose my sympathies pretty quickly. Just because it feels good to be angry and fighting for a cause (it's why I like football) doesn't necessarily make everything about your side good and true.

Cobras, however, are awesome and have my full support. Northern Thailand is supposed to be slithering with them, but I've yet to see one. I just wanna hold one. Cmon cobras. I'm on your side.


No comments: